Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Merlin's (lack of) beard!


So I never really got into the new Robin Hood that BBC America and my misguided brother kept trying to shove down my throat, but one night when I was without basic cable, I found myself falling for the charms of another BBC take on a legend before the legend, Merlin.

The show follows a young Merlin upon his arrival to Camelot, which is ruled by Uther Pendragon (or as I think of him, King Ripper). Magic has been outlawed by Prince Arthur's father, so it's a dangerous place for the young warlock, who becomes Arthur's manservant and gradual friend (they're totes the Seth and Ryan of Camelot).

The show is a little loose with the traditional story. Instead of being Arthur's sister, Morgana is his father's ward. And apparently Mordred is not their son because he has already made an appearance as a little druid boy to whom Morgana becomes dangerously attached. Oh and Guinevere, who has always been the most annoying character in Camelot's mythos, is now Gwen, Morgana's sweet, socially-awkward hand maiden.

The chemistry between the younger cast members is great and it's fun to see Anthony Head playing a stubborn bastard like Uther. NBC may be done airing the season, but Hulu still has many episodes available, including one with the creation of Excalibur. You know, if you're a dork and care about that kind of thing.

No comments: