Friday, September 18, 2009

Pontius Pilot: Community

THE GOOD: Joel McHale on primetime! Joel McHale on primetime! After supremely mixed feelings about his appearance on the defunct pilot for the US take on "The IT Crowd" (how could a virtual line-by-line remake be so unfunny?), I am now free to bask in the possibility of enjoying the hysterical host of "Talk Soup" on a show that doesn't feature a regular segment about what crazy ass shit Tyra's talking about this week.

The show also features an excellent ensemble comprised of Chevy Chase, a hot blonde, a hot (but uptight) brunette, a sassy black lady, a kid with Aspergers (he's my favorite), that British dude from "The Daily Show" and a young jock dude who used to write for "30 Rock" (he's my second favorite). Oh and Ken Jeong.

THE BAD: The airwaves (and my American Airlines flight from TX last week) have been saturated with ads for the show. In addition to getting lots of people to tune in, it also gave away most of the jokes. I think that's why a lot of the pacing felt a little flat to me; I knew exactly where we were going. That's not to say I didn't laugh really hard at everything out of Abed's mouth.

THE VERDICT: It'll get better. The "30 Rock" pilot wasn't as good and now it's the most hilarious thing on TV.*

*Not including the crazy ass shit Tyra's talking about this week.

No comments: