Sunday, April 15, 2007

M-O-O-N, that spells an afternoon well-spent

When I was in junior high, someone was genius enough to turn Stephen King's The Stand into an epic six-hour mini-series. This weekend, Sci-Fi was genius enough to air it in its entirety. Luckily I didn't know this 'til AFTER I gotten several errands out of the way. Otherwise I'd have spent all of my Sunday on the couch, ignoring the laundry and soaking in the goodness that is The Stand.

Released during the heyday of the mini-series (other choice examples from the era include Queen and Oklahoma Passage), this one was particularly influential. First, it inspired me to read King's 1100+ page book. Second, it convinced me to get an ill-advised bob like Molly Ringwald's. Third, it caused me to daydream constantly about Gary Sinise. In defense of my 12 year-old self, this was pre-Lt. Dan and he's both talented and smokin' hot.

Watching this mini-series, I started to miss the genre. It's bad enough that I can only get my woman-in-peril TV movie fix on Lifetime, but the mini-series is practically MIA these days. That's why I'm looking forward to The Starter Wife. I haven't read the book and towards the end of Will & Grace, I found Debra Messing about as appealing as a rabid howler monkey, but I'm excited about an adaptation that will stretch more than 90 minutes, but less than 22 hours. Not too hot, not too cold, just right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, I agree -- i think 6 episodes of the movie sounds perfect. I have not read The Starter Wife but going to before the miniseries starts. And excited about Messing -- seems like a perfect role for her.