Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Ugly Betty Bandwagon

There's a horrible, mean part of my soul that takes pride in the fact that I love Veronica Mars, but not Heroes. And Friday Night Lights, but not American Idol. It's true, I'm a big fat snob and I love bitching about how the public in general is too dense to pick up on what’s really good on TV.

But once in a while there's a really popular show that isn't totally overrated. Ugly Betty's one of those rarities. America Ferrera deserves that Golden Globe and I'd happily hand her the Emmy too. And she isn't the only thing great about the show. The supporting cast is uniformly fantastic. Wilhelmina, Amanda and Marc mince through Mode, balancing precariously on the tightrope between hilarity and cartoonish pandering without ever falling into the latter. Betty's family is poignant and plucky. And the show's message is simply that we should accept one another for who we are, no matter our color, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, gender or sense of style. That's something even a bitch like me can get behind.

No comments: